Afghanistan faces a new, quieter (but still deadly) threat.
Courtesy eracerhead: Pennsylvania rape victim denied morning-after pill.
* Interesting analysis: Dan Froomkin on Bush beset by woes.
* BAGnewsNotes with the visuals of Rice's reactions in Rome.
* David S. Broder on Republican infighting.
* Dick Meyer wonders if we should elect someone with real foreign policy experience.
* Meanwhile, the FBI undergoes a realignment.
* Looking for another way to weaken the religious right.
* Death row inmate and self-described pagan to be executed in Virginia tonight.
* "Researchers believe they have found a second code in DNA in addition to the genetic code."
* Americans getting too fat for x-ray machines?
* Weather in Texas leads to a butterfly invasion.
* My arch-enemy, the sun, continues its murderous ways.
* Hank Stuever tears up that superhero reality TV show.
"With the full force of the American consumer marketing establishment behind it, the skull has lost virtually all of its fearsome outsider meaning. It has become the Happy Face of the 2000’s. When the mid-1980’s proto-Goth group the Ministry sang 'Every Day Is Halloween,' this was not quite what they had in mind."
Also tonight on the SciFi Channel: a new horror mockumentary.