"Excuse me, but if a state passes a law that flies in the face of a long-settled high court precedent for the expressed purpose of trying to get it overturned, why isn't that judicial activism?"
Richard Cohen on Bush's culture of intellectual corruption.
Bush orders Homeland Security to create a center for faith-based initiatives. (Bonus: the executive order.)
* Hey Rummy, it turns out the media have been under-reporting casualties, not the other way around. Arianna Huffington also has some commentary on Rumsfeld's media critique.
* What oversight? Republicans work hard to prevent inquiry into domestic spying.
* Harold Meyerson on all the impeachment talk.
* The South Dakota anti-abortion law is more restrictive than what Bush wants. But will he stand up for it?
* Poll shows the public's view of Islam is becoming more negative.
* Santorum once again embraces lobbyists.
* FDA panel advises that MS drug Tysabri be brought back.
* 'Jewish law experts postpone gay-issue vote.'
Cigarette sales hit a new 54-year low. And soda sales drop for the first time in 20 years. In other culinary news, booze and tea are just fine.