Good read: Dick Meyer on aggressive ostentation.
Doctors Without Borders list the top ten most underreported humanitarian crises of 2005. (Courtesy rackletang.)
* Remember, blame Katrina, not terrible spending policies.
* Elizabeth Holtzman makes the case for impeachment. (Also courtesy rackletang.)
* News analysis: what we still don't know about Alito.
* Soldiers' books talk about life in the current war.
* "Orion is a bustling caldron of activity."
* Ancient Chinese map points to America.
* The only living person to have named a planet in the solar system.
A conundrum of a movie's length.
Ted Koppel heads to NPR.
"There's no physical evidence that the family who gave the Donner Party its name had anything to do with the cannibalism the ill-fated pioneers have been associated with for a century and a half"