A realistic look at the progress in Mosul and Najaf, Bush's examples. Also, listen to a related story from NPR on the truth on the ground in Iraq.
Good read: Dick Meyer wants to save the 9/11 Commission.
David S. Broder thinks it's time for cleaning up the House.
* House and Senate reach deal on the Patriot Act.
* A rift forms at the ACLU.
* "FEMA's top official was told more than a year before Hurricane Katrina that the agency's emergency response teams were unprepared for a major disaster and were operating under outdated plans."
* Dana Milbank on Wolfowitz.
* "Many states are not yet serious about teaching science."
* Digging a new subway tunnel, an old wall is found underground.
* Photo gallery of the week in sports.
Hope for human medicine in the newly-decoded dog genome.
Ten pages of the FBI file on John Lennon remain secret.
Why Serenity is coming to DVD so quickly.