Good read: Harold Meyerson on the "stuff happens" presidency.
Bob Scheiffer: the government has failed the people in their time of need.
California assembly approves gay marriage bill. Will Arnie veto?
Bush's mom and 'compassionate conservatism.'
* Time asks: How do you put back a city and a region so devastated? The same way? Differently?
* Water pumped back into Louisiana lake contains toxic material.
* Baton Rouge deals with refugee overcrowding.
* CBO says the storm could cost nearly half a million jobs.
* NYTimes editorial: it isn't a "blame game."
* Analysis: Bush's deepening divide - polarized electorate's devolution from post-9/11 unity to post-Katrina rancor.
* Andrew Cohen on the Supreme Court's sorrow.
* Polls show little public trust in Congress.
* The rising costs of the deaths of border crossers.
* Legal experts say current leak prosecution law is insufficient (a.k.a., how Rove will avoid jail.)
* Scientists puzzle over the composition of a comet.
* Using architecture to encourage college students to mingle.
* Federal investigators report on plot against 50 Cent.
* Budget for new Superman movie tops $250 million.
* Hugh Jackman turns down role of James Bond.
Today's conspiracy theory material: "Does the existence of hundreds of gigantic, empty, operational prison camps in the United States of America worry you?"
"The House That Laurie Built"