After a last-minute change in dinner plans, Black Queen and I headed up to Champions in Laurel for an evening of karaoke.
It turns out if you wanna try out new songs, Sunday night is the time to go. I'm not joking when I say that the most people they had there at any one time was ten singers. We were the only people there from start to finish. But, you know, five songs, can't complain. And a great time to try out new stuff, as evidenced below.
The selection is nice, but different. Close to Remingtons-level, but with, uh, other depths. I mean, Jim Croce is all good, but they had *twelve* songs by America. *Twelve.* I didn't know America *had* twelve songs. Also, I am not exaggerating when I say *two full pages* of Brooks and Dunn, followed by *two full pages* of Garth Brooks. Also, I *love* the *asterix.* And, after that, a bunch of REM? No rhyme or reason.
BUT OMG THE HAVE DOKKEN'S "DREAM WARRIORS"
SONGS WE DID:
* Me - "Paint It Black"
* Black Queen - "I Am the Highway"
* Me - "Unchained Melody" (1)
* Black Queen - "I'm the Only One"
* Me - INXS, "Devil Inside"
* Black Queen - "Only The Good Die Young"
* Me (+ Jeremy the Art Student) - Rammstein, "Du Hast" (2)
* Black Queen - Greenday, "Longview"
* Me - Puddle of Mudd, "Blurry"
* Black Queen - "Look What You've Done"
(1) - The KJ is friends with Black Queen, and he came over to chat at our table a couple times. When I got up there to sing this, he made some joke about it being a "sappy-ass song." He tossed in a couple more jokes in there, but I managed to maintain my composure. Until he put on some sunglasses and swaying back and forth, and then I lost it.
(2) - This is what's known as a Karaoke Finishing Move. As soon as I saw it in the list, I knew I had to do it. Once I got up there, Jeremy the Art School Student (another guy at the bar Black Queen knew) asked if he could sing along. Now, even though this was the English version, he knew all the German words. I only knew half. But then a couple verses were in German on the screen anyways, so we went about half and half on it, and if I may be so bold, it freakin' ruled.
SONGS OTHER PEOPLE DID:
* First song I head when I got there: "A Whole New World"
* Song I never thought I would hear at karaoke: the Green Acres theme.
* You know, you might think Nine Inch Nails's "Hurt" is a good karaoke song, but you're wrong.