Americans are taking more prescription medications than ever.
* Iraqi security forces are facing an 'onslaught.'
* UN ambassador Danforth suddenly announces his resignation.
* House aide takes blame for adding controversial tax return provision in spending bill.
* Funny how the US free trade deals include so few Muslim countries.
* The most dangerous and the least dangerous US cities for pedestrians. Good work, Salt Lake City!
* Free enterprise: is business easier without government? (Note: BBC popup gallery.)
* The Huygens probe is cleared for the Titan landing.
* The new Band Aid record won't be released in the US.
Best read today:
"What does it mean that a whopping 70 percent of Americans, according to a recent New York Times-CBS News poll, believe that mass culture is responsible for debasing our moral values? It means, if the poll is accurate, that we are a nation of lascivious hypocrites."
[EDIT: new links added in comments, 2:22 pm.]