Compassionate convservative: the administration wants to cut housing aid to the urban poor.
* Post has a tough analysis of Bush's UN speech. The Times also has a treat of an editorial.
* Oooh. Three of DeLay's top aides indicted.
* Spain's Zapatero proposes 'a cultural alliance' between Islam and the West.
* "The average African is worse off now than during the colonial era, the brother of South Africa's President Thabo Mbeki has said."
* David Brooks on Kerry's new forceful stance.
* The conservative case against Bush. (Courtesy Mistress Sassy.) Robert Scheer makes the same case, only... different.
* A transcript of Jon Stewart on O'Reilly's show. (Courtesy Troia.)
* Two of Mandela's jail diaries returned after 33 years.
* Oooh. Contract awarded for nuclear-powered probe to Jupiter's moons.
* Anne Applebaum sees the CBS documents scandal as the turning point for network TV's dominance of the news.
* Russ Meyer, director of Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! passed away.
Working on a microscope that will be able to see atoms.
Anne Rice responds to reviews of her new book. (Courtesy marag.)
Lisa de Moraes talks about low ratings for the Emmys, low ratings for network television, and how lots of people don't get HBO.