* Welcome to America, 2012: the return of debtors' prisons.
* "There is clear evidence that tightening laws — even in highly individualistic countries with long traditions of gun ownership — can reduce gun violence."
* Time to repeal the 2005 Arms Act?
* Follow-up: Swiss bank UBS to pay for its role in the LIBOR scandal.
* On Israel, neocons, and Chuck Hagel.
* How to count bugs in the trees in Panama.
* Ten crazy stunts from genre movies.
* Fan favorite: the Explainer looks for the top unanswered question of the year.