THOR'S DAY NEWS BRIEF:
* How the war in Somalia
might spread into a regional conflict.
* American official says violence in Afghanistan
is likely to get worse, not better.
* Why is Bush bringing back six failed judicial nominees
wins majority leadership post.
* Jonah Goldberg puzzles over the unlikely return of Trent Lott
. Bonus observations
from Dana Milbank.
* Five myths about the midterm elections
* NoVA vs. grits: the growing 'cultural chasm' in Virginia
* Why Britain is taking the lead in biomedical research
* "A team of experts has drawn up five 'grand challenges' in order to evaluate the safety of nanotechnology
* Finding culture on YouTube