* The economic crisis is causing political turmoil across Europe. Kevin Drum looks at one of the root causes.
* We still haven't dealt with the government's embrace of toture.
* Two decades later, teaching about the L.A. riots in the schools.
* Welcome to America, 2012: how an aging population means expanding how we deal with a growth in dementia.
* Wait, the Falklands again? Seriously?
* Good read: culture drives language, not biology.
* "There's been a lot of talk these last couple of weeks about 'hipster racism' or 'ironic racism' — or, as I like to call it, 'racism.'"
* Excellent: pics from New York City, one hundred years ago.