* Pitchfork lists the top tracks.
* SPIN.com lists their year-end lists.
* Good read: 'the year in pop and profanity.
* The top music stories we missed this year.
* A good year for women in music.
* "2011 was a good year for the word 'swag.'
* "At this point rock is becoming a graveyard of aesthetic innovation and creativity, a lie perpetrated by major labels, radio conglomerates and touring concerns." (Courtesy warmaster.)
* The AVClub picks the best music of the year, and names the least essential albums.
* The year in band names.