* Twenty-one years after the start of the decline of the American empire.
* David Weigel notes that no one knows what to do about jobs.
* New government mission to contain violent extremism here at home.
* Senator Kerry speaks out in defense of foreign aid.
* How the Tea Party is a product of Southern conservatism.
* The Mexican government turns to cartoons to get out its message about the drug war.
* A different take on SlutWalk in India.
* Makeshift schools an important step in rebuilding Joplin.
* New report speculates that Earth originally had two moons.