* "How U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan murdered innocent civilians and mutilated their corpses – and how their officers failed to stop them." (Warning: graphic.)
* Fallout: Japan deals with blackouts and other side effects of not enough electricity.
* Good read: what is the American dream these days?
* Renting is on the rise, and losing some of its stigma.
* Wow. It's all about the jobs, people. I can't believe some of this stuff.
* Speaking of which, Republicans are targeting AARP, because, uh, yeah.
* Why women leave engineering. (Courtesy multiplexer.)
* Examining a prehistoric holdover, the skunk cabbage.
* "British pop duo the Pet Shop Boys have unveiled their first ballet."