* Peru reports 69,000 people died in 20 years of civil war.
* Ashcroft taking fire from fellow GOP conservatives over Patriot Act.
* Paul Krugman says we're running out of troops and money in Iraq.
* Nicholas Kristof explains how economic growth is more successful in authoritarian order than in democratic chaos.
* Scary, awesome science: doctors remove and rebuild a human heart.
* Prosecutors have grown skeptical of DNA testing to prove innocence in cases where there was other evidence of guilt.
* College football reaches a crossroads.