* "...Many Indians still live with a sense of permanent crisis, of a world out of joint, where violence can be contained but never fully prevented, and where human action quickly reveals its tragic limits."
* Training for war in Afghanistan by way of Louisiana.
* Seeking federal oversight of mass transit in the wake of the Metro crash.
* The Republican party, but united and divided.
* Bonus: man, are they really saying Senator Graham isn't conservative enough?
* What Oprah's departure will mean for daytime TV.
* A critical eye on our modern lust for celebrity status.
* The NYTimes presents a holiday gift guide for graphic novels.