Andrew Cohen on the terror law authors.
Virginia moves closer to a smoking ban.
FRIDAY NEWS RODEO:
* Ouch. The jobless rate skyrockets. Scary stuff.
* Dan Froomkin on the latest Cheney offensive, plus having a president who admits mistakes.
* Transforming a Republican party that doesn't want to change.
* A flaw in China's armor?
* Iran launches a satellite.
* Newsweek discovers steampunk.
* The AV Club talks with Adam Baldwin.
* Cramps singer Lux Interior passed away.
Cripes! The largest snake ever was really quite large. Bonus: the Explainer, on how prehistoric animals got so big.
The coolest thing you'll read today: Bill Gates unleashes a swarm of mosquitoes at a conference. (Courtesy hammerforge.)