And a close contender, by David Frum: "There are many ways to lose a presidential election. John McCain is losing in a way that threatens to take the entire Republican Party down with him. "
Frank Rich on racism and the race.
CAN'T TRUST THAT DAY:
* Why Al Qaeda endorses McCain.
* Good analysis: once marching in lockstep, the 'conservative commentariat' now faces a divergence of direction.
* In related news, there's also trouble brewing in the world of pirate re-enactors, as the historical types face up to the brave new world of Jack Sparrows.
* How Europe handled the economic crisis better than America.
* Pandora's helix: new hopes for tomorrow and fears for the future as prenatal DNA testing becomes more powerful.
* Coping with Jefferson's slavery legacy, and what it says about our country.
* "The fashion for flaunting one's underwear may have more to do with conspicuous consumption than a decline in decency."