Today's top headline: "A cloned dog, a Mormon in mink-lined handcuffs and a tantalising mystery" (Courtesy mscongeniality.)
"Can we please stop fussing over every new Olympic record? A new record means that an athlete using today's equipment outperformed an athlete using yesterday's equipment. It's not a fair fight."
* Always a good read: LiveOnline with Dan Froomkin, after reaching 1,000 columns.
* Consumer prices jump, leaving inflation rising at its fastest rate in 17 years.
* The hell? New White House directive to suppress the veteran vote. Voting is not a partisan issue! Yeesh. (Courtesy marag.)
* Sigh. Democrats continue to cave on offshore drilling.
* Newly declassified secrets from the OSS in WW2.
* "Archaeologists digging in Turkey have found the colossal marble head of a Roman empress."
* Martha Stewart approves of show mocking her. (Courtesy examorata.)
* And this year's Bulwer-Lytton winner is...
Universal snags the rights to The Wheel of Time.
Movie theaters banning popcorn? Madness. (Courtesy jwiv.)