Maryland officials defend their surveillance of death penalty opponents and peace activists.
* "After years of planning, the first war crimes trial here was focused, not on a terrorism kingpin, but on his driver."
* Will Africa be Bush's true legacy?
* Where Bush and McCain differ on foreign policy. Also, Bob Herbert on getting to know the Republican candidate.
* Gov. Schwarzenegger, head of the world's ninth largest economy, bans transfats in restaurants.
* Restoring classic movies with the latest technology.
* Chatting with Vaclav Havel.
* Ten things we didn't know this time last week.
John Barrowman asks: why is John Barrowman gay?
Want some more vinegar in your beer? The Freakonomics blog revisits the subject of cheap wine. Good stuff.