"What is so depressing about our press corps' bizarre penchant for picking and choosing which members of the ruling class are 'genuine' and which ones are not is that the United States simply cannot afford to have another election decided by this trivial nonsense." (Courtesy professorbooty.)
* Hearts, minds: new report states that Iraqis militias are luring in new recruits with food.
* Dick Cavett responds to Petraeus and Crocker. Yes, that Dick Cavett.
* I doubt many Catholics would be happy calling Bush 'the Catholic president.'
* The Catholic priesthood struggles to find new recruits.
* McCain embraces tax cuts new and old.
* 'Sea levels could rise by up to one-and-a-half metres by the end of this century.'
* So, how likely is it that the supercollider will create a black hole and destroy the planet?
* Actresses, plastic surgery and botox: the wrinkle-free elephants in the room.
Dan Savage with an ode to his late mother.
"Saying 'MILF' is no more risque than saying, 'OMFG,' or 'bootylicious,' or 'Keep Christ in Christmas.' It's part of the general lexicon now, so let's all stop pretending that it's somehow edgy."