States and local services are hit particularly hard by the economic downturn. (Also, the loss of federal money, but hey. Tax cuts!) Coincidentally, foodstamp usage hits record high.
Gene Weingarten on giant Burmese pythons colonizing America.
CAN'T TRUST THAT DAY:
* Fighting alley by alley in Iraq.
* Israel vows to remove barriers in the West Bank.
* On the ground in the wilds of Pakistan.
* Huh. Housing Secretary Alphonso Jackson resigns.
* Remind me again why anyone thinks Lieberman is a Democrat?
* Considering all the flak Obama took over Wright, I wonder if McCain will get the same over Hagee?
* Looking for the tangible effects of meditation on the brain.
* Meet the next generation moon buggy.
* "Dyeing animals is prohibited under a city ordinance, which came as news to a salon owner who likes to color her pet for breast-cancer awareness."
Ten things we didn't know this time last week.