Coming out strong in defense of torture, Bush vetoes bill banning waterboarding. The NYTimes thinks it's a legacy thing.
Honoring the last surviving American World War 1 vet.
* Violence is on the rise again in Iraq. Also, thousands of Iraqis march in Basra to demand protection from crime.
* The GAO wants more oversight over our intelligence agencies.
* Bad economic news: "The world is coming to an end. Yes, you can quote me on that." (Bonus: NYTimes analysis.)
* Interesting. California takes a strong stand against home schooling.
* On the ground with basketball season in Lebanon. No, really.
* Pondering McCain's running mate.
* Michael Chertoff gives an instructive lesson in when to stop talking. Heh.
* Andrew Cohen on the airline passengers' bill of rights.
* On math and midges.
* "...Daylight saving time resulted in an $8.6 million increase in spending on residential electricity."
A sneak peek at Serenity: Better Days.