Wow. One powerful pic from Diyala. Hearts and minds, people.
Good read: on Kucinich and the fallacy of "judicial activism." (Courtesy professorbooty.)
* "The Iraqi defense minister said Monday that his nation would not be able to take full responsibility for its internal security until 2012, nor be able on its own to defend Iraq's borders from external threat until at least 2018."
* "Inflation spiked in 2007, driven by escalating food and energy costs that more than cancelled the wage gains earned by workers over the year. "
* "[The] president views intelligence strictly as a political tool: When it backs up his policies, it's as good as gold; when it doesn't, it's 'just guessing.' This result is that all intelligence is degraded and devalued, at home and abroad."
* "Don't plan a major democracy speech when you know you're not going to act on it, with not even a symbolic move of any kind to accompany it. There's a word for this kind of thing. It's called hypocrisy."
* The ACLU steps in to defend Larry Craig.
* "[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards." -Mike Huckabee
* On privacy, security, and the JPL.
* Is the US losing its dominance in science?
* The LAPD implements a universal translator.
The Messenger probe sends back pics of unseen portions of Mercury.
"So great are the consequences of the rise of George W. Bush that we are likely to find ourselves sifting through the story again and again, with an almost neurotic compulsion, trying to find exactly where we went wrong."