In pictures: California wildfires.
"McCain isn't bringing it on, it has already been broughten." Ana Marie Cox's excellent weblog of the Republican debate.
* "Iraq cannot be reconstructed as a unitary state, and the sooner we face up to this reality, the better."
* Dan Froomkin covers Bush's latest war funding request. Anyone think the Democrats will do anything other than fold on this issue too?
* Is the US supporting Kurdish raids into Iran?
* "Tuition and fees at public and private colleges and universities rose at more than double the rate of inflation."
* Laissez-faire: man, who knew that letting an industry police itself could end badly?
* "Colbert is the only presidential candidate who knows he looks ridiculous. Maybe he will appeal to those who find politics a theater of the absurd."
* BAGnewsNotes on the Colbert/Russert interview.
* Dick Polman on the rise of Mike Huckabee.
* Writers of Superman Returns decline to return for the sequel.
News you can use: The Explainer, on what to do if you're attacked by a band of angry monkeys.
NBC looks for more bilingual actors.