"All in all, the Graeme Frost case is a perfect illustration of the modern right-wing political machine at work, and in particular its routine reliance on character assassination in place of honest debate."
Bob Herbert: "In the race for the highest office in the land, we showed the collective maturity of 3-year-olds." Also: Bob Schieffer, on what it says about us when Gore doesn't want to run for president.
CAN'T TRUST THAT DAY:
* "After more than four years of fighting, America continues its desperate struggle in Iraq without any concerted effort to devise a strategy that will achieve victory in that war-torn country or in the greater conflict against extremism." -Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, retired former top commander of American forces in Iraq (Bonus: Republican response)
* A site in Syria, bombed by Israel last month, reported to be a partly constructed nuclear reactor. (Bonus: NYTimes analysis of the pre-emptive military strike.)
* "This is the first time in post-Soviet history when only the Kremlin decides who can participate and who can't. The Kremlin decides which party can exist and which party cannot."
* "We have watched Republican lawmakers help President Bush shred the Constitution in the name of fighting terrorism. It is time for that to stop."
* Speaker Pelosi defends timing of resolution on the Armenian genocide.
* Meet the former head of the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative operative who stays out of the news.
* The presidential debates show the two parties are apparently in different countries.
* And yet another Republican in Congress announced their retirement. Wow.
* Oh, and in case you were concerned, Sen. Craig continues to fight the good fight. Or something.
* "The seed bank atop the world."
* The spotty box office track record of the Weinsteins.
Whoah. "The National Security Agency sought to enlist Qwest in a domestic surveillance program in February 2001, according to the company's former chief executive."
Three Americans win the Nobel prize in economics for their work in mechanism design theory.