"A White House manual that came to light recently gives presidential advance staffers extensive instructions in the art of 'deterring potential protestors' from President Bush's public appearances around the country."
"The Electoral College should be abolished, but there is a right way to do it and a wrong way."
"The Pentagon has a disturbing relationship with private evangelical groups."
* The bad economic news is kneecapping consumer confidence. Paulson is confident, though, so hey. But does the Treasury have many tools to work with?
* Heh. Even Bush is comparing Iraq to Vietnam now. The BBC discusses the comparisons.
* 'Why the US is unhappy with Maliki' Also, Times analysis of the political reasoning.
* "That was the linchpin of the whole benchmarks debate: If the Baghdad government fails to deliver, is there any penalty?"
* Native American tribes selling memberships to illegal immigrants? Fantastic.
* Nice. New stardards put forth by the administration limit the states' ability to extend health coverage to the middle class.
* "...The skeleton is an endocrine organ that helps control our sugar metabolism and weight, which makes it a major determinant of the development of type 2 diabetes." (Courtesy thewronghands.)
Ouch. "One in four adults read no books at all in the past year" (Courtesy pictsy.)
Leahy's Batman obsession.