More on Gonzales and the Intelligence Oversight Board reports. FBI reports changes are in the works. The NYTimes believes this is yet another example of major problems with the administration. (Good read.)
The White House's scorched earth subpoena strategy to delay investigations. An LATimes editorial thinks the White House should acknowledge the limits of executive privilege.
Ideology over science? Former surgeon general testifies on political interference from the administration on health issues. (Courtesy marag.) More from the NYTimes here.
* Analysis: how successful has the surge been? (Bonus: graphic.)
* "Some wars end in peace treaties or surrender ceremonies. The Iraq war appears destined to end in a noxious mixture of metaphors."
* Undoing Sandra Day O'Connor's legacy.
* "Courageous waiting": Dick Polman praises Stephen Colbert's comments on a Republican problem.
* "Serious sin": Republican senator turns up in the DC madam's logs. Whoops! More from the Sleuth here.
* "A new scientific study concludes that changes in the Sun's output cannot be causing modern-day climate change."
* Whoah. Eerily intact baby mammoth unearthed from permafrost.
* Examining the transportation infrastructure California will need in the year 2050.
* "Pope Benedict has approved a new text asserting that Christian denominations outside Roman Catholicism are not true Churches in the full sense of the word."
* Spielberg teams up on video games.
* Author chosen for the next official James Bond novel.
* Today's top headline: L.A. Times in Error About Victoria Beckham's Vibrator
* Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist and creator of comic strip Kudzu Doug Marlette passed away.
LATimes.com on the greatest summer mysteries from the world of entertainment.
Interview discussing the new version of the classic fantasy board game Talisman.