The problem with banking on benchmarks in Iraq.
Analysis: a shift in our foreign policy, as it turns out it's a good idea to talk to countries, even the ones you don't like.
* Guess who was involved in the planning sessions before Gonzales's testimony before Congress on the attorney scandal. Andrew Cohen explains why the controversy won't go away anytime soon.
* "Mr. Bush said his veto threat would apply to any measures that 'allow taxpayer dollars to be used for the destruction of human life.'" So, uh, is he going to eliminate the death penalty then?
* Eugene Robinson wonders: "Is George W. Bush even trying to make sense anymore?"
* Egads. Giant tornado destroys town in Kansas.
* Huh. The NRA thinks suspected terrorists should be able to purchase firearms.
* "Does Darwinian theory actually support conservative philosophy?"
* Meet the new president of France.
* OK, let the Paris Hilton prison jokes begin.
Ten things we didn't know this time last week.