"Journalism is about searching for answers. But what happens when there are no answers? When tragedy erupts, reporters strive to put together the pieces. But what if the puzzle doesn't quite fit, and there's no one to blame but a single, twisted lunatic?"
Huh. NYTimes graphic (big) illustrating daily gun deaths in America.
CAN'T TRUST THAT DAY:
* Israeli political stagnation lets the settler movement regain a foothold.
* Bush's America: the infant mortality rate is on the rise in the South.
* Karl Rove vs. ...Sheryl Crow? (More here.)
* Gas prices are already high, and they're looking to go up.
* Second-guessing the new Supreme Court.
* Democrats seek to redefine the alternative minimum tax.
* "A new study of bars and bar workers in Dublin adds some concrete numbers to the debate over indoor smoking."
* The UK wants a new space agency.
* Former Russian President Boris Yeltsin passed away.
Oregon governor to live on food stamps for a week. Personally, I think all our elected officials should do this. For one month. Each year. (Courtesy alainnduil.)